Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Badly burned by hot grease

This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Monday, November 23, 1910.

Mrs. Chas Fisk of Forest Avenue met with a serious accident Sunday morning. She attempted to throw some hot grease into the furnace, which resulted in her being severely burned about the face and body. The family had had goose for Thanksgiving dinner and some of the fat had been fried out, about a pint, in all, which Mrs. Fisk threw into the furnace with some other garbage. When it touched the hot coals an explosion followed and flames blew out into the room striking Mrs. Fisk and setting her cloths afire. She presence of mind enough to drop to the floor and stifle the flames and called to her daughter, Mrs. Barret Robison of Chicago, who visiting her, who came to her rescue and beat the flames out, but not until after her face, arms and body were deeply burned. A physician was called to dress the wounds and this morning she is reported resting easily. The extent of her injuries is not now known.

Had the floor and sides of the furnace room been of wood the house would doubtless been in flames before help could have been secured.

No comments: