Monday, September 15, 2008

Death claims Chester Yost

This story was published by the Ypsilanti Daily Press on Saturday, September 12, 1908.

Chester L. Yost, ex-mayor of Ypsilanti, expired suddenly at his home, 102 South Huron Street, at 4 o'clock this morning. He had been troubled qith neuralgia of the heart for the last year. His demise was due to heart failure.

Mr. Yost was at his office yesterday morning. He complained of not feeling well and Fred Swift in passing took him home in his buggy. He rested during athe afternoon and by evening appeared to be regaining his usual health. He was up and down during the night and early morning partally dressed and went down stairs to sit in his easly chair. It is believed he fell just as he was about to be seated. Mrs. McKinley who had stopped with Mrs. Yost for fear help might be needed during the night, heard him fall but he passed away as she reached his side.

Over exertion this week undoubtedly hastened Mr. Yost's end. His friends and relatives warned him from time to time to take better care of himself, but as he was naturally a stirring disposition he paid no heed to their suggestions. He and Mrs. Yost attended the state fair Tuesday. Wednesday he wasn't very well but thursday morning he took an early train for Pontiac where he arranged for the purchase of a carload of buggies, returning to the fair in the afternoon.

Mr. Yost did his full share to build up Ypsilanti. Houses and horses were his hobbies. He owned many of both. His custom was to buy houses, rebuild them into nice homes for himself and then not satisfied he would sell and but another house. At 10 o'clock Friday morning he said:

"I think I will build another house yet this fall. The one I have is too large."

Chester L. Yost was born in Waterloo, Seneca county, N. Y., March 10, 1838, and was a son of Wm. Yost a native of that place. He was educated in Waterloo, attending the Academy there until the age of 16.

In 1855 he came to Michigan, opened a harness shop here, then drifted into dealing in horses and carrriages. Shortly after this he bqecame intereested in flour miling at Flat Rock, and at one time controlled the Huron River mills. In 1881 he started the livery business, having one of the best livereries in the county. Auctioneering next engaged his attention, in which he wa very successful, especially in selling stock.

He was married to Miss Anna Vreeland, of Flat Rock, Mich., who survives him.

From 1884 to 1886 he was mayor of Ypsilanti and refused another nomination because of business interests.

Mr. Yost was one of the oldest members of Masonry in Ypsilanti and a member of the Royal Arcanum society. He was an earest worker in the Presbyterian church. He had been a delegate to several democratic, city, county and state convention at various times.

He leaves a widow, Mrs. C. L. Yost, and two sisters, Mrs (DR) Murdock of Northville and Mrs. W.J. Booth of Ann ARbor.

No comments: