Friday, January 13, 2012

Fire destroys Hawkes’ home

This story was published by The Daily Ypsilanti Press on Thursday, January 12, 1922.

The home of Sheridan Hawkes, 502 Mause Avenue, was totally destroyed by fire early this afternoon. It is thought that the fire was caused by a defective chimney. The blaze started on the second floor and rapidly spread until it enveloped the entire house.

Mrs. Hawkes states that she put in a call for the fire department at about 11 o’clock. Through some misunderstanding, the fire department went west instead of east, and failing to find the fire, called back from Rowina.

The telephone operator was able to give them the exact location of the fire again, and the department at once rushed to the scene, but it was too late to save anything.

Besides all of the furniture and clothing, which was lost, Ira Wilson, who was rooming there, lost $700 in bonds and securities, which were in his truck.

Mr. and Mrs. Hawkes have four children at home, and the fire leaves the family in bad circumstances.

No comments: