Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Frank Stowell loses control of auto, is instantly killed This story was published by the Ypsilanti Daily Press on Saturday, May 4, 1912. A fatal accident, shocking in its suddenness, befell Frank E. Stowell, a well known citizen of Ypsilanti, at half past twelve o’clock today. He was returning from the creamery guiding his machine with one hand and carrying a pail of cream with the other, when he lost control of the car. A resident who saw the accident said the car was running at high speed, and that when it struck some sand on Spring Street, it turned turtle and pinned him down helplessly underneath. Men quickly rushed to the spot and drew away the heavy machine. He breathed two or three times, and then expired before a doctor arrived. At the time of the accident Alfred Davis and his brother Osias, who work in the Casler gardens, on Spring Street, were sitting in front of the barn, it being their noon-hour. They chanced to see Mr. Stowell from the time he left the creamery until the moment of the accident. The boys say that Mr. Stowell started from the creamery carrying a pail of cream or milk in his hands and also had with him a crock of butter. With the other hand he attempted to steer his machine, but was so encumbered with his pail that the car almost went off the embankment soon after he had crossed the bridge. The car was going so wild that the boys kept their eyes on it, and presently they saw the car had struck some sand and was turning turtle. They ran to the spot and with others who arrived lifted the car up, which had fallen on Mr. Stowell. The running board had struck him directly across the chest and had crushed it in. He was unconscious, breathed two or three times, and then passed away. Dr. Britton arrived soon after and carried him home in his car. Mr. Stowell’s car was only slightly broken. Mrs. Stowell is utterly prostrated with the shock and grief of her bereavement. Her husband had departed in happy spirits only ten minutes before he was brought home lifeless. Their two daughters, Mrs. Chas. Wilson, of Bowling Green, O., and Mrs. Bert Pierce of Lima, O., have been reached by long distance and are on their way home. Also his two sisters have been wired: Mrs. Dora Goddard of Mt. Upton, N. Y. and Mrs. Pettit of Fredonia, N. Y.

No comments: