This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Friday, August 23, 1935.
Fire this morning destroyed one of the oldest landmarks in Denton causing a loss estimated at approximately $15,000.
Sparks from a passing train or a bonfire at the back of the building are believed to have been the cause of the blaze which razed the two story spacious brick building on the north side of the Michigan Central tracks owned by Everett A. Newton. The blaze which started on the roof of the structure was noticed about 11 o’clock and neighbors formed a bucket brigade in an attempt to extinguish the flames. When it became apparent the building could not be saved the volunteer fighters turned their efforts to removing the contents.
All of the household furnishings of the Nicholas Ferdacus family and most of the stock of the general store located in the front part of the building were saved. A supply of fertilizer valued at $500 was destroyed.
The loss was partially covered by insurance.
The building which is one of Denton’s historic landmarks was built about 80 years ago by Samuel Denton. The building at that time served as a hotel for employees of the lumber mill located in Denton.
Later it was used as a ticket office by the railroad company and then as a Post Office until about two years ago when it was discontinued and Denton put on a rural route from Belleville.
T. Z. Moon was one of the first to use the building as a residence. Later the house was purchased by Samuel Joslyn who was postmaster for a number of years. Lee Newton, father of the present owner, brought the house after Mr. Joslyn.