Monday, August 2, 2010

Raymond Bock killed by lightening in open field

This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Friday, August 2, 1935.

Death struck in its most dramatic form this morning when a lightning bolt claimed the life of Raymond Bock, 18 year old Stony Creek farm boy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Bock. Charles Hammond, 18, his companion was rendered unconscious by the same bolt which struck while the two were in an open field.

They were riding on a stone boat to gather corn from the Bock property when a sudden electric storm struck about 9:30. The carefree conversation was cut short by the lightning bolt which killed Raymond instantly, burning the hair and clothing from his body. It rendered Charles unconscious and caused the horses to run away. They were later found in the barn when Charles staggered up to the Bock home to gasp “Help” before he collapsed. The youth had recovered consciousness to find his chum’s lifeless body and himself suffering from the effects of the same bolt.

He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Hammond, Stony Creek, and has been confined to bed until seriousness of the shock can be determined.

At the Bock residence were the mother, brother and sisters of the dead boy. His father had left earlier in the day to take produce to the Detroit markets. When the Hammond youth made his dramatic appearance at the home, and when the frightened team was found in the barn, alarm was felt for the safety of Raymond. A quick investigation revealed the tragedy.

The death was investigated by Dr. David N. Robb, coroner, but no inquest is planned.

This is the second death with in a week for the Bock family, the boy’s grandfather, Charles Bock, Garden City, having succumbed Tuesday.

Surviving him are his parents Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Bock: the sisters Marian, Shirley Mae and Virginia; two brothers, Duane and Edward; his grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Henry Klatt, Wayne; a grandmother, Mrs. Charles Bock, Garden City.

He was born July 2, 1917, near Dearborn. The family moved here three years ago from Tecumseh.

No comments: