Thursday, July 23, 2009

Old landmark at Denton lost by destructive fire

This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Monday, July22, 1929.

“Ted,” brindle bull dog which was adopted 12 years ago by the R. J. Merryfield family and which has watched their property since that time; Saturday at about 6:30 remained faithful to his charge dying in a fire which destroyed every building but the house on the William Suggitt farm near Denton.

The dog was safely outside the burning buildings but returned to the barn where he had been accustomed to stay and refused to be coaxed out.

Buildings which burned included the barn, tool shed, hen house, woodshed and corn crib. Seven tons of hay, the entire first cutting on the farm this year, was lost. A truck, harness, scales, corn binder, drag, and other smaller tools, were destroyed and a few chickens were also caught by the flames.

Nearly 100 neighbors aided in bringing the fire under control and in saving the house, from which they carried all the furniture. Efforts to save other buildings were soon found to be futile and all water was drained from the well to keep the house from burning.

The barn was a landmark in the community, having stood there for 70 years.

The fire is believed to have been started from a spark from the chimney of the house, carried to the woodshed where it ignited a pile of shingles.

Loss is estimated between $1,500 and $2,000.

No comments: