Friday, September 4, 2009

Pours gasoline on fire, burns result in death

This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Monday, September 2, 1934.

Burns received Saturday afternoon when he poured gasoline on a rubbish fire, proved fatal Sunday morning to Louis A. Wilson, 54, 6477 Bingham Ave., Dearborn, manager of the newly opened service station at Michigan Ave. and Ballard St.

Mr. Wilson died in Beyer Hospital from severe burns about the chest, face and arms after he was burned, Saturday afternoon at 4 o’clock. Mr. Wilson stood over the smudging fire and poured gasoline on it, according to R. C. DeNike, who with Robert Walders, both of this city, are attendants at the station. Before he could jump back the flames struck Mr. Wilson in the upper part of his body. Fe fell to the ground and the attendants put out the fire with an extinguisher. He regained his feet and walked to the ambulance, which had been summoned, although blood was trickling freely from his body.

Mr. Wilson, who was born Aug. 22, 1880, had operated a gasoline station for the last 32 years. He had owned a station on Schafer Rd. near Ford Rd. in Detroit before opening the one here. Work on the local station has not yet been completed, although the pumps are in and gasoline has been sold for seven weeks.

He is survived by his wife, Lulu, and a daughter, Lucile, who is a teacher in the Dearborn public schools. There are also several brothers and sisters living. Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock with burial in Coldwater.

Dr. E. C. Glanzhorn, county coroner, was called but attributed the death to an accident and will not hold an inquest.

No comments: