Monday, January 24, 2011

Families forced to flee flames in scanty attire

This story was published by the Ypsilanti Daily Press on Wednesday January 22, 1936.

Four families were forced to flee to the stret in their night clothing at 3 o’clock this morning with the temperature hovering at 14 degrees when fire swept their home at 315 N. Prospect St. causing damage estimated at more than $500.

Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Maloney, who reside in an upstairs section of the house were shut off by intense smoke and flames, and were carried to safety from the porch roof of the building by Ypsilanti firemen. The other families, Mr. and Mrs. John Allen and child, and Mrs. Ivan Marshall and child, and Mr. and Mrs., Paul Jordan and two children fled to safety in their night garments after the fire was discovered. They were cared for by neighbors until the blaze had been brought under control.

The fire was discovered by Mr. and Mrs. Allen. Flames had gained rapid headway from the basement where they originated, and the house was filled with smoke. Mr. and Mrs. Allen aroused the other occupants.

The blaze was confined to wall partitions but reached the second floor before they could be brought under control by the firemen after a long battle. The walls in the house were charred and there was heavy loss from water and smoke.

It is not determined how the blaze started but it was near the furnace where the most damage resulted, leading Chief Alonzo H. Miller to believe that defective furnace equipment started the fire.

The building is owned by Mrs. Jennie Hadley, Ypsilanti resident, who has been staying in Detroit with her daughter.

No comments: