Sunday, January 30, 2011

Garage burns, one auto lost

This story was published by the Ypsilanti Daily Press on Thursday, January 29, 1931.

Fire at 2 o’clock this morning, believed to have originated from defective automobile wiring, burned a large sedan, purchased one month ago, and destroyed a one car frame garage belonging to George Crippen, 417 W. Michigan Ave. Loss is estimated at $1,500.

Work of the Ypsilanti Fire Department saved the two story house which stands only 10 feet from the garage. Siding at the southwest corner burned and fire started in an upstairs room but was controlled. The west side of the house was scorched.

When the fire was first discovered by Donald Wallace, 511 W. Michigan Ave. the roof and interior of the garage were in flames. The fire department saved the garage from burning to the ground, but only after the roof and three sides were badly burned. Futile efforts were made to keep the machine from burning.

The loss is partially covered by insurance.

Mr. Crippen in carrying furniture from the house, Slipped on the ice and dislocated his left shoulder.

The fire department was also called to extinguish a chimney fire at 609 Emmet St., Wednesday evening at 7 o’clock. Damage was slight.

No comments: