Saturday, April 14, 2012

Fire destroys Augusta house

This story was published by the Ypsilanti Daily Press on Thursday, April 14, 1932.

Loss estimated at more than $5,000 resulted this morning at 7:30 when the residence of Henry Brooks in Augusta Township, two miles southwest of the Lincoln Consolidated School, was destroyed by fire.

The blaze, which is believed to have resulted from a defective chimney in the kitchen, was not discovered until it had gained rapid headway. Volunteers succeeded in carrying furnishings on the first floor to safety, but all contents on the second floor were burned.

The residence was a landmark of Augusta Township being erected nearly 100 years ago. The loss was covered by insurance.

No comments: