Thursday, April 5, 2012

Fire stars from chimney

This story was published by The Daily Ypsilanti Press on Thursday, April 4, 1912.

A spark from the chimney caused a fire which damaged the residence of Mrs. Ann Stewart at 611 Ellis Street (Washtenaw) to the amount of $400 this morning at 9 o’clock.

The first intimation that Mrs. Stewart had that her house was on fire was when the neighbors noticed the blaze on the roof and came and told her. A large hole was burned in the roof near the chimney and down into the attic before the flames were checked. The arrival of the fire department with their chemicals soon had the fire under control and prevented further damage. Considerable damage, however, was caused by the water which ran through from the roof into the rooms below.

No comments: