Saturday, April 14, 2012

Old landmark will go

This story was published by The Ypsilanti Daily Press on Saturday, April 13, 1912.

George Jackson of this city has bought and is demolishing the Swaine malt house on East Forest Avenue, proposing to build with the bricks two modern dwellings on the site. The front past of this structure was the old Peck school house, named after the Peck family who were among the earliest settlers of Ypsilanti. The Peck family has in its possession a grant signed by President John Quincy Adams and East Forest Avenue once bore the name of Peck Street.

Many residents seem to feel that this building should not be demolished without first securing a picture of it for the archives of the D. A. R.

No comments: