Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Lightning Strikes Tree and House; Melts Wires
This story was published by The Daily Ypsilanti Press on Thursday, May 22, 1913. A large elm was struck by lightning and spit to the roots in the rear of the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Anderson on South Adams Street during yesterday’s storm. The current followed wires attached to the tree and a chimney, and entered the house, knocking some glass from a shelf and tearing off plaster in the upstairs room. Then the bolt knocked boards off the side of the house, and smoked paint on it. The wires, of which there were several, were completely melted by the lightning. Mrs. Anderson was in the kitchen but was not injured.