Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fire destroys Johnson barn

This story was published by the Ypsilanti Daily Press on Monday, October 19, 1931.

Three fires in Ypsilanti over the week end caused damage amounting to more than $1,300 with the largest loss being the burning of the barn owned by Mrs. Adele Johnson, 507 Holmes Rd., Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock.

Ypsilanti fire department in answering the call was delayed by a freight train and when they reached the address it was too late to save the old building, which had stood for more than 50 years. The entire framework except the north and east sides burned to the ground and tools and stored articles in the barn were also burned.

Origin of the fire is not known to Fire Chief Alonzo Miller.

Fire department was also called to the rooming house above 201 West Michigan Ave., Sunday morning at 11 o’clock when an over-stuffed chair caught fire. The blaze was restricted to the chair and damage was slight. It is believed a cigarette was the cause.

The third fire came this morning at 9 o’clock when a defective chimney started a blaze in the home of R. R. Edmonds, 520 Harriet Street. Damage was confined to near the chimney.

No comments: