Monday, October 31, 2011

Someone threw a match on Western Union awning

This story was published by the Ypsilanti Daily Press on Monday, October 30, 1911.

A small blaze in front of the Western Union Telegraph office caused considerable excitement in the business section Saturday evening about 7:30. The quick work on the part of the fire department, however, prevented any serious consequences.

Just how the fire originated is not definitely known but it is thought that some one passing by tossed a lighted match or a cigarette stub in the awning which immediately set fire to the front of the store. The chemicals used by the fire department together with the prompt assistance of those near by prevented the flames from spreading beyond the awning and scorching the paint on the front of the woodwork of the store.

No comments: